Sharpn

Sharpen your mind

Fatima al-Fihri and al-Qarawiyyin, Fez

The Islamic Golden Age

A quarter built by newcomers

Fez sits in a river valley in northern Morocco, and in the ninth century its two banks filled with arrivals: families from Kairouan in Ifriqiya on one side, Andalusis pushed out of Córdoba on the other. Each bank built its own congregational mosque. Both mosques still stand, and the Kairouan one still carries its founders' name — al-Qarawiyyin, the one of the Kairouanese. It covers about half a hectare, runs ten aisles deep, holds some 22,000 people, and has roughly eighteen gates around its edge. Its minaret went up in 956 with money approved by the Umayyad caliph in Córdoba, Abd al-Rahman III. Almost everyone who has heard of the place has heard a single sentence about it: a woman named Fatima al-Fihri founded it in 859, and it is the world's oldest university. Both halves of that sentence are fought over.

The story as it is told

The account everyone repeats comes from one book: the Rawd al-Qirtas, compiled in Fez around 1326 — nearly 470 years after the events — and usually attributed to Ibn Abi Zar', though some surviving manuscripts name a different author altogether. In it, a Kairouan merchant named Muhammad al-Fihri settles in Fez with his daughters Fatima and Mariam. He dies, the sisters inherit, and each spends her share on a mosque — Mariam on the Andalusi bank of the river, Fatima on her own. Fatima lays the foundations on the first day of Ramadan in 245 AH (859) and fasts through the whole construction. The earth for the building is dug out of the site itself, and the pit left behind becomes the mosque's well, so that nothing in it came off anyone else's land. It is a lovely story. It is also the only one we have.

What the building says back

Historians have pushed back hard. Roger Le Tourneau thought two sisters and two mosques too neat to be true; Jonathan Bloom points out that no surviving piece of the fabric looks older than the tenth century. Then twentieth-century repairs stripped plaster from a set of cedar panels and uncovered a foundation inscription in Kufic script, dated Dhu al-Qa'da 263 AH — July or August 877 — naming a man, Dawud ibn Idris, of the line that founded Fez. What that proves is itself disputed. Gaston Deverdun argued the panels were carried in from another building centuries later. Chafik Benchekroun reads them as the mosque's real founding text and treats Fatima as quite possibly legendary; Péter Nagy rates the inscription above the written tradition. The question is genuinely open.

The second fight: is 'university' the word?

The teaching was real and it did not stop. Students sat in halqas, semicircles around a sheikh, working through Arabic grammar and Maliki law; mathematics and astronomy are attested in the curriculum from the Marinid period, which added a timekeeper's chamber in 1286 and a water clock in 1361 fitted with an astrolabe 71 centimetres across — Greek geometry arriving by way of Baghdad. But a student left with an ijaza, a licence from his teacher personally, not a degree from a chartered corporation. George Makdisi argued this makes it something other than a European universitas. UNESCO and Guinness hedge, calling it "the oldest university or oldest continually operating higher learning institution." Morocco itself constituted it as a university by royal decree in 1963. Women were admitted as students only in the twentieth century — accounts place the first admissions in the 1930s or 1940s.

Four locks

The library beside the mosque was founded by the Marinid sultan Abu Inan Faris in 1349, and its collection is usually given today as some 4,000 rare books and manuscripts — a ninth-century Qur'an in Kufic script on gazelle parchment among them, and a copy of his own history that Ibn Khaldun is recorded as handing over in 1396 — though a survey early in the twentieth century counted nearer 1,600 manuscripts, against an estimated 32,000 volumes in 1613. Its curator, Abdelfattah Bougchouf, describes the old manuscript-room door as having four locks whose four keys sat with four different people; none of them could get in alone. When the architect Aziza Chaouni began restoring the library in 2012 she found cracked ceilings and no climate control. It reopened in 2016, the four keys replaced by a four-digit code. What is certain about al-Qarawiyyin is not the founder's name but the habit that kept it alive: an endowment, a guarded door, and eleven centuries of somebody turning up to teach.

Key Dates to Remember

  • 859Traditional founding of al-Qarawiyyin by Fatima al-Fihri (1 Ramadan 245 AH) — a date given only by a history written nearly 470 years afterwards.
  • 877Date on the oldest inscription found on the building itself: Kufic script on cedar panels, naming Dawud ibn Idris, not Fatima.
  • 956The minaret is raised with funds approved by the Umayyad caliph of Córdoba, Abd al-Rahman III.
  • 1349The Marinid sultan Abu Inan Faris founds the library, whose collection is usually put today at some 4,000 rare books and manuscripts.
  • 1963Morocco reorganises al-Qarawiyyin into a state university by royal decree; it is renamed the University of al-Qarawiyyin in 1965.
Fun Fact: Dozens of articles claim the future Pope Sylvester II studied at al-Qarawiyyin and carried Arabic numerals back to Europe. Gerbert of Aurillac really did learn Arabic-derived mathematics — but in Catalonia, around Vic and the monastery library at Ripoll, in the late 960s. No evidence has ever surfaced placing him in Fez.
Next lesson
The Bimaristan and the Doctor Who Doubted Galen